Mimi's yard and Granddaddy's garden are both in full bloom. Of course, when you pull up to the culdesac of their house the view of the yard takes your breath away and you cannot even see the secret gate to the garden in the back yet. It is like going on a retreat to stay there a few days with the view of gorgeous flowers and decorations. However, this year something new was added! I may be more excited than anyone (except you, Ailee, because you think the entire section of corn was planted just for you!). Granddaddy and Mimi planted a garden this year! It was very sad to hear about the selling of Granny and Pop's house recently but I am so proud that Mimi has decided to bring those memories to Vanns Town for the newer generations. I will never forget the days spent running through the rows of veggies while Granny picked okra and then sitting in between Pop's legs as he showed me how to string beans. One of the first things Anna Grace said when she saw the garden was "Mimi, can I help you pick something when it is done growing?" Whew, that hit hard...I am OLD! That was always a joy of my summer and now I am seeing her begin to witness it. I am glad that summer days are turning into more than trips to the pool and lazy afternoon naps. These type memories made with Mimi and Granddaddy will be SOOO cherished one day. For years, Big Unc continued the garden at Granny and Pop's house and Mimi always helped him can and cook up the goodies. I really love having it closer. We were lucky enough to get to rush over after church on Sunday for a home cooked meal. As I took the first bite, I was flooded with how spoiled I really was growing up. We always ate two weekend meals around the round table at Gran and Pop's with the whole gang. There were times I would have just given anything for a happy meal instead, I am sure. And, especially when the dating years came, it was hard to have to attend the Saturday night meal at Gran's at 6 before any dating would occur. However, now I see how lucky I was! I miss the southern summer treats of my childhood. Thanks, Mimi and Granddaddy for bringing things back around full circle even though I know the distant makes it hard on everyone.
We love to give Granddaddy a hard time though that he planted the garden in the designated pool spot. When they moved from our childhood home, they left behind a very special treat...our swimming pool in the backyard. Now, first thing we found a place a replacement spot but Granddaddy just wasn't on board with all of us living in different places. I think he was probably correct in this decision and summer seems to be more than "paradise" just the way it is! We made a super splash anyway when we visited this past time.
No comments:
Post a Comment