Sunday, July 1, 2012

Reconnect...

In the midst of a house full of two working parents (in and out of the home) and 3 very busy little girls, sometimes we need a disconnection from one another in order to "reconnect."  

Our sweet little girls (plus my brother's two girls) went to Mimi and Granddaddy's for Cousin's Camp.  So, Daddy and I escaped to the beach...
we did a whole lot of "nothing"
I read books, Daddy enjoyed people watching, we ate some really super food, we talked about each daughter~how to encourage them (and discourage some habits, as well) in each one's specific way, laughed about silly things they do, went on a few adventures and just enjoyed no schedule whatsoever.  
(as you can see from these phone pics, I even left my camera behind!)
 The beach was relaxing~only one body to lather with sunscreen, no snacks, goggles, boogie boards to pack, only 1 towel to haul around and no soaked and sandy little bottoms jumping right down in my lap as I am trying to read.  (I did actually miss each of those things in a strange way, though.  "Mommy" is who I am ...who I was created to be!)
 Daddy always seems to drag me to some abandoned destination while we are on a couple's getaway.  Last time we ended up on a photo shoot at an abandoned resort in Mexico and this trip we managed a 5 mile run through an abandoned Golf Course.  We jogged through knee high fairways and sand-pit golf cart paths.  We saw more bunnies, bees, butterflies and birds than you can imagine.  I told Daddy that at any moment I thought Shaggy and Scooby would come out of the hedges and ask for a snack.  It felt like an old episode of Scooby-Doo.  We even had to get out the GPS to find the way back to the clubhouse at one point!  To be such a rule follower, I sure did snag a husband who enjoys life on the edge.  

It was a nice way to rejuvenate.  To remember why we started this journey in the beginning.  Most of the time now days, our conversations consist of little spurts of insightfulness in between washing our faces and brushing our teeth each evening.  I am grateful for the retreat.  For the chance to regain some energy that can be so easily drained during the day to day routines. 

However, now I am off to a week packed full of some SUPER fun times with friends, family and neighbors.  Can't wait...I LOVE july 4th in the south!

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Maybe Jon can take the other couple on that same run while we're on family vacation. Will sure miss all of the fun July 4th activities with ya'll!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails